ARTIQ-7 is released today. To install it, follow the stable branch manual at https://m-labs.hk/artiq/manual/installing.html. Older firmware is NOT compatible with ARTIQ-7, so you will need to reflash your core devices as well. For ARTIQ/Sinara systems purchased from M-Labs or QUARTIQ, we can usually provide pre-compiled firmware binaries at no additional cost for 1 year after the date of purchase.
- Hardware support:
- Support for Kasli-SoC, a new EEM carrier based on a Zynq SoC, enabling much faster kernel execution
- DRTIO support on Zynq-based devices (Kasli-SoC and ZC706).
- DRTIO support on KC705.
- HVAMP_8CH 8 channel HV amplifier for Fastino / Zotinos
- Almazny mezzanine board for Mirny
- Phaser: improved documentation, exposed the DAC coarse mixer and
sif_sync, exposed upconverter calibration and enabling/disabling of upconverter LO & RF outputs, added helpers to align Phaser updates to the RTIO timeline (
get_att_mu() functions added for AD9910 and AD9912.
- Softcore targets now use the RISC-V architecture (VexRiscv) instead of OR1K (mor1kx).
- Gateware FPU is supported on KC705 and Kasli 2.0.
- Faster compilation for large arrays/lists.
- Faster exception handling.
- Several exception handling bugs fixed.
- Support for a simpler shared library system with faster calls into the runtime. This is only used by the NAC3 compiler (nac3ld) and improves RTIO output performance (test_pulse_rate) by 9-10%.
- Moninj improvements:
- Urukul monitoring and frequency setting (through dashboard) is now supported.
- Core device moninj is now proxied via the
- The configuration entry
rtio_clock supports multiple clocking settings, deprecating the usage of compile-time options.
- Added support for 100MHz RTIO clock in DRTIO.
- Previously detected RTIO async errors are reported to the host after each kernel terminates and a warning is logged. The warning is additional to the one already printed in the core device log immediately upon detection of the error.
- Extended Kasli gateware JSON description with configuration for SPI over DIO.
- TTL outputs can be now configured to work as a clock generator from the JSON.
- On Kasli, the number of FIFO lanes in the scalable events dispatcher (SED) can now be configured in the JSON.
artiq_ddb_template generates edge-counter keys that start with the key of the corresponding TTL device (e.g.
ttl_0_counter for the edge counter on TTL device
artiq_master now has an
--experiment-subdir option to scan only a subdirectory of the repository when building the list of experiments.
- Experiments can now be submitted by-content.
- The master can now optionally log all experiments submitted into a CSV file.
- Removed worker DB warning for writing a dataset that is also in the archive.
- Experiments can now call
scheduler.check_termination() to test if the user has requested graceful termination.
- ARTIQ command-line programs and controllers now exit cleanly on Ctrl-C.
artiq_coremgmt reboot now reloads gateware as well, providing a more thorough and reliable device reset (7-series FPGAs only).
- Firmware and gateware can now be built on-demand on the M-Labs server using
afws_client (subscribers only). Self-compilation remains possible.
- Easier-to-use packaging via Nix Flakes.
- Python 3.10 support (experimental).
- Due to the new RISC-V CPU, the device database entry for the core device needs to be updated. The
target parameter needs to be set to
rv32ima for Kasli 1.x and to
rv32g for all other boards. Freshly generated device database templates already contain this update.
- Updated Phaser-Upconverter default frequency 2.875 GHz. The new default uses the target PFD frequency of the hardware design.
Phaser.init() now disables all Kasli-oscillators. This avoids full power RF output being generated for some configurations.
- Phaser: fixed coarse mixer frequency configuration
- Mirny: Added extra delays in
ADF5356.sync(). This avoids the need of an extra delay before calling
- The deprecated
set_dataset(..., save=...) is no longer supported.
PCA9548 I2C switch class was renamed to
I2CSwitch, to accomodate support for PCA9547, and possibly other switches in future. Readback has been removed, and now only one channel per switch is supported.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this great release.
The beta version is now ARTIQ-8, and we are keeping "legacy" builds for ARTIQ-6. ARTIQ-5 is now obsolete. To install ARTIQ 8 or 6, follow the "Installing ARTIQ" instructions in their respective manuals. The main difference is the Nix Flakes or Conda channel URLs.